Friday, February 22, 2013

2013 Oscars

I love award shows, but the Oscars are my favorite.  Those who know me know that I am a huge movie fanatic.  I make it a personal goal to see all of the major films nominated for Academy Awards every year.  This year's round up has been nothing short of amazing!  This Sunday, when she show is on, you can bet that I will be parked on the couch for the entirety of it.

I have yet to see all of the films, unfortunately, but based on what I've seen so far, here are my predictions for who will win, and my thoughts on who should win the major categories of the evening.  

Best Picture:
Who will probably win: Argo
Who should win: Zero Dark Thirty

Ok, I'll admit, I haven't seen Argo yet, so my mind may change, but I really think Zero Dark Thirty should take home the gold.  Sitting in the movie theater seeing this movie....I was actually nervous for the characters, even though I knew how it ended!  That, my friends, is what makes a good movie.  

Best Actor:
Who will probably win: Daniel Day-Lewis
Who should win:  Daniel Day-Lewis, although Bradley Cooper gets an honorable mention

Daniel Day-Lewis played such an amazing Lincoln.  He definitely deserves recognition for this role.  However, Bradley Cooper's character in Silver Lining's playbook was fantastic as well.  His character really brought the stigma that surrounds mental illness in society today to light.  A job well done to both, this one will be a tough call.

Best Actress:
Who will probably win: Jessica Chastain
Who should win: Quvenzhané Wallis

Words cannot express how much I love the movie Zero Dark Thirty, and if Jessica wins this category it will be well deserved.  However, I think it's amazing that Quvenzhane Wallis is nominated at such a young age.  Beasts of the Southern Wild is not the typical movie that tends to dominate the Oscars.  Just think how great it would be for this little peanut to get the recognition that she (and the movie) deserves!

Best Supporting Actor:
Who will probably win: Robert DeNiro or Tommy Lee Jones
Who should win: Christoph Waltz

To be honest, I really would love for any of these guys to win.  However, Christoph Waltz is such an amazing actor, and he rarely gets the recognition he deserves.  Tarantino found a good one with him!  His character in Django was perfect, so I really hope he wins.

Best Supporting Actress:
Who will probably win: Anne Hathaway
Who should win:  Jackie Weaver

I'm not super pumped about any of the actresses in this category.  I do, however, think Jackie Weaver played an outstanding, overbearing mother in Silver Lining's playbook.  

Who do you think will win/should win these awards on Sunday?  

xoxo



 

No comments:

Post a Comment